No products in the cart.
gluten and guilt free black bean brownies
Recently, I came across a recipe for black bean brownies in a magazine that I was curious to try. I actually love black beans and love brownies. Brownies, with a tall glass of cold milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream…delicioso. But black bean brownies? I wasn’t convinced. Then, I remembered awhile ago my cousin Parita posted about these brownies on her blog www.myinnershakti.com. She is a wonderful cook and is always trying to make things that are not so good for you better for you and even more delicious. So I decided to gather up the ingredients and try.
I ended up making these brownies, combining and tweaking some recipes I found online by adding in espresso powder (espresso pairs so well with chocolate) and walnuts. I also used only dark chocolate chips. I took them into work and haven’t yet disclosed the secret ingredient. I was honestly scared to, thinking no one would have any. But I’m telling you, there were none left. The proof is in the empty pan…these brownies are delectable and divine. And the best part is, they are better for you than the standard brownie. Now you can pretty much indulge guilt free. What’s not to love about that?
Here’s my recipe. Try them out and let me know what you think. And if you have your own black bean brownie recipe…please share.
|guilt and gluten free black bean brownies|
- 1 15oz can no salt added black beans (drained & rinsed at least 3x)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (dutch or regular)
- 1 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pure agave or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips (i used dark chocolate)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans, if desired
- mini chocolate chips for sprinkling on top, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in food processor and blend until smooth. It’s extremely important to blend the ingredients very well.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips and if using, the walnuts/pecans too.
- Transfer into a buttered 8×8 pan.
- If using extra chocolate chips, sprinkle on top.
- Cook about 20 minutes or until center is set. You can use a fork to check.
- Cool well before cutting.
to make a simple brownie dessert, cut brownies into bite size pieces. layer with sliced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream on top.