fifteen ways to de-stress during the holidays
- Step outside and breathe. Take a deep breath, allow fresh air in – does wonders to re-energize and re-focus.
- Make a list, prioritize and just work on one task at a time. Enjoy that task fully.
- While you work, listen to holiday tunes. Listening to music can help lower blood pressure, heart rate, and stress hormones.
- Allow yourself moments to take a brisk walk and enjoy being outside. This helps release endorphins which naturally and effectively make you feel good.
- Don’t over commit – accept the invitations you want and decline those that you would rather not attend.
- Indulge by sipping on a glass of red wine while wrapping all those presents.
- But remember to stay hydrated – winter means dry weather which means drinking lots of water is a must.
- If you’re feeling completely out of control with all that you need to accomplish, organize something. Like a desk drawer, a makeup bag. This will help you gain back some control and hopefully will leave you feeling better to get some of those other things done.
- Don’t feel bad about gifting gift cards. Trust me, most people appreciate being able to buy what they want anyways!
- If you’re hosting, delegate. Assign different tasks or something to contribute. Guests will feel more connected to your event too.
- Light a holiday scented candle or two. Aromatherapy is so effective.
- Volunteer. Even though you have a ton to do, there’s always a little time to give back. Helps you to re-gain perspective.
- Grab an apple cider or salted caramel hot cocoa and enjoy all the holiday lights and decorations.
- While indoors, keep those curtains open. Just looking outside can lower heart rate. Plus it’s so pretty with all the decorations!
- And remember to laugh, be merry. Because afterall, isn’t that what this season is all about?