No products in the cart.
pitaya, the dragon fruit: healthy & easy smoothie recipe
The other day, I walked into a local smoothie shop after my yoga class and this gorgeous smoothie sample caught my eye.
I walked off the line and straight to the guy handing out little cups and asked him what the pretty pink drink was.
Pitaya, (pee-tah-yah), also known as dragon fruit.
It looks like health has a new color! And it was delicious. Reminded me of kiwi, but sweeter and just so BRIGHT. The one I tried there was blended with banana, which tasted great. But when I made my own, I came up with the perfect concoction that’s super easy, (see below). You can use any smoothie-maker/blender is fine, but I have a handy, dandy Vitamix.
Check out all the health benefits Pitaya has:
Here’s the super easy recipe. You can find pitaya at most Asian grocery stores or markets.
- 2 red pitaya fruit: scoop flesh from skin, be sure pitaya is ripe, (pick it like you would a kiwi- not too mushy… but not extremely firm)
- 1 young coconut: extract water and pulp OR you can use 1 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 large pineapple spears
- 1 tsp. grated coconut
- Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix, or smoothie blender except for grated coconut.
- Top glass with grated coconut.
- Enjoy with a large straw!
Plus, how fun would it be telling your kids they are drinking DRAGON FRUIT? And a cool twist on it for adults would be to make it as a “pink pina colada” by just adding rum.
Let me know how you, (and your family), like it!
Thanks for visiting and trying the recipe Margie!