No products in the cart.
product review: field roast’s vegan meat
I know what you’re thinking…vegan meat? Field Roast? What? Huh? I know for all you meat lovers out there, it’s hard to imagine even eating something like that. Vegan meat? What exactly is the point again? Well the point for me and my family is being vegetarian. But a bigger point is also being healthier and kinder to the planet too. I’m not really going to preach about all that, though. But if you’re into Meatless Mondays, trying to be healthier/kinder…then keep reading!!
I’m always on the hunt to find alternative protein sources since we are so veggie/fruit heavy in this family. Being Indian, we eat quite a bit of lentils, beans and other legumes. And years ago, I fell onto the soy bandwagon. And while I love my fair share of tofu…I just didn’t love eating it all the time. Or giving it to my family all the time. A year or so ago, I was introduced to Field Roast, an artisinal vegan meat product. Field Roast products include sausages, burgers, meatloafs, deli slices, frankfurters, roasts and more…even cheese. The company is famous for its “Celebration Roast” which is extremely popular over the holidays and is also available year-round. This is where my intro to the company began…which is their take on a roast but it’s made with lentils, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and other veggies/herbs. I was hooked. Sliced as is, in paninis….so good. Even my oldest one was hooked. It’s no surprise that it’s widely considered the best vegan Thanksgiving turkey alternative on the market. And after that initial introduction, I would have to say it’s been all love.
Field Roast differs from other vegan meat companies in that it doesn’t aim to perfectly replicate the texture of animal meat. Instead, the products embrace the power of flavorful grains and vegetables in their less processed form. You can find Field Roast products at many groceries and most natural food stores, and you can see everything they offer on their website.
Lately, we are into the Mexican Chipotle Sausages. We love them in tacos. Here’s a quick recipe that I think even all you meat lovers will LOVE! Happy Meatless Monday!!
- 2 Mexican Chipotle Sausages
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 bunch of fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 Limes, sliced
- 3 Radishes, sliced
- 1 Avocado, sliced and sprinkled with sea salt
- Corn tortillas
- Mix onions, tomato and cilantro together in a bowl with some sea salt to create a simple street taco garnish.
- Over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of oil to a skillet.
- Slice Mexican Chipotle sausages 1/4in thick and add to pan. Stir sausage occasionally until it starts to brown, then remove from heat.
- Take two tortillas for each taco, and use a skillet over medium heat, to warm tortillas until they are pliable.
- Place a spoonful of sausage over each tortilla set, and add some street taco garnish.
- Squeeze lime on top.
- Serve with avocado and radish on the side.
Pingback: product review: beyond meat burger - Chai Mommas