recipe: meatballs and vegetable noodles
So excited for dinner tonight, because we are so making this meatballs and vegetable noodles dish!! Thanks to our dear friend Christine O’Connor for once again making us excited to try out a new gadget and eat simple, fresh and delicious foods that are good four bellies too!
Kitchen gadgets. We all have them, but do we use them? Admittedly, my quesadilla maker and waffle iron are just taking up space in my cabinets. But alas, I found a kitchen gadget that I can use. It creates healthy things and it’s under $10. Wanna take a guess?
It’s a hand-held vegetable spiralizer. A what? Basically, a small device that that creates noodles out of vegetables. Let’s try it, shall we?
- 1 pound of ground meat (grass-fed beef, turkey or chicken)
- 1 organic egg
- ¼ of an organic onion chopped very finely
- 2 tablespoons of panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
- Ingredients (Noodles)
- 2 organic zucchini
- 2 organic yellow squash
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack open the egg and whisk it
- Chop the onion very finely
- Chop the parsley and set aside
- In a bowl, mix the ground meat with the egg, onion, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce (a little trick I learned from my mom) and mix again. It gives the meatballs an extra kick of flavor.
- Spray a broiler pan with non-stick vegetable oil. I like using this style pan because as the meatballs cook, the grease drips off of them.
- Roll 1 inch in diameter meatballs and place them on the pan.
- Cook the meatballs in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat up the rest of the tomato sauce on the stove on low heat.
- Now it’s time to make the noodles.
- Wash the zucchini and squash.
- Chop the tops off the vegetables.
- Follow the directions on your spiralizer gadget, as they might be different from mine.
- But essentially, you firmly press the vegetables onto the slicer and twist.
- Magically, vegetable noodles come out the other side.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the meatballs come out of the oven, place them in the sauce.
- It’s time to plate your food. You have a choice with the noodles. You can eat them raw (this is how I like them). Or simply heat them in boiling water of place in the microwave for 1minute.
- Top with meatballs.
And there you have it, meatballs and vegetable noodles. This recipe is healthy, easy-to-make and delicious. I forgot the BEST part. My son ate zucchini for the first time ever since it was shaped like a noodle. Have you fallen in love with the hand-held vegetable spiralizer, yet?