recipe: sausage and asparagus pasta
I lately have been tired of making the same basic pasta for dinner in our household. I wanted to try something a little different since my family is not so big on asparagus but they love some sausage and cream sauce. I found a recipe online that inspired me to make this for dinner a few weeks ago, but added a twist to it plus changed a few ingredients up.
After having my family try it, and I was a little scared that they were not going to eat it since it has asparagus and guess what? They Loved it! My husband is a vegetarian and I made it without the sausage and added bell peppers, onions and mushrooms and he really enjoyed it!
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, sweet or hot, casing removed (I buy my sausage from henry’s in the meat department)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 3-4 mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, fresh
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 lb of your choice of pasta ( I used campanile pasta), cooked according to package directions
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in non-stick sauté pan. Add sausage. While sausage is cooking, break up with spoon. When sausage is completely cooked, drain fat.
- Cut bottom 2” off asparagus stems (the inedible part), then cut remaining stem into 1” pieces. Boil asparagus until tender in a separate pan. Drain and allow to cool. Remove tips from asparagus and set tips aside.
- In the pan, add a little bit of olive oil and sauté the onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and garlic
- Combine asparagus and cream/milk in the pan with the mixture of vegetables.
- Simmer 10-12 minutes over medium heat.
- Add hot, drained pasta to asparagus cream sauce. Add parmesan and butter. Add cooked sausage and sauté until simmering. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to large platter. Garnish with asparagus tips and serve.
This was a hit in my family and while I am typing this, I think I will be making it again this week for dinner! Let me know if your family enjoyed it as much as we did!