No products in the cart.
easy chilaquiles recipe
As So-Cal mommies, we have to admit, we love us some good Mexican food! Most of our go to brunch spots house chilaquiles on their menu…
The fried tortillas, the sauce, the eggs, the sweet corn…it’s delicious!
So recently, Reena whipped up some for her Texas native husband on his birthday, who not only loves breakfast but usually orders chilaquiles (as it is also vegetarian). It was easy to make and her kids loved it as well. With father’s day around the corner, this makes for a delicious homemade breakfast idea for dad!
- For the chips: (alternatively, you can use store-bought tortilla chips)
- 9 corn tortillas, cut into triangles (into 6 or 8)
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- vegetable oil
- 1 can of black beans; drained and rinsed or fresh/cooked (12-15 oz.)
- 1 can of sweet corn; drained and rinsed or cooked from frozen (12-15 oz.)
- For the salsa:
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 serrano chili, diced
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of ground cumin
- For the garnish:
- 1-2 eggs scrambled or sunny side up
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco, Cotija, or shredded colby jack cheese
- Dollop of sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Tortilla Chips: You can use store-bought chips or you can make your own.
- To make your own:
- For frying: cut the corn tortillas in strips of triangles, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and fry your tortillas piece in batches until they are golden brown and crisp. When done, drain on paper towels.
- For baking: preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), grease a baking sheet, and place your tortilla pieces on it. Lightly brush the tops with oil and sprinkle with the salt. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- For the Salsa: (You can also use store bought salsa as well)
- Put all the ingredients in a pan except for the salt with a little bit of water (allow water to cover the ingredients) and boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Let the ingredients cool for a bit and then add to a blender. Blend until mixed.
- Then add salt.
- Blend for another 2-3 minutes until everything is blended and mixed.
- Add more salt, chili and cumin to your taste and blend again if needed.