Becoming a mom is a major transition in any woman’s life. Emotional, physical and even spiritual; you are changing in so many different ways. You have those days that are so frustrating you ask yourself how you will ever make it through, but you just do. You have those days where days seem so perfect, you ask yourself, can I really be this lucky?
I used to have a lot of negativity in my way of thinking and a lot of asking why me over the simplest things. I used to take things people said literally and let it ruin my day. It’s just the way I was but after going through certain life events, I am really starting changing who I am and the way I live my life. It has really transformed me into a person who now can’t even handle being around negative people.
5 positive changes I have made since becoming a mom
- Make NO EXCUSES for priorities in my life: I love being around people and I love meeting new people. When you enter motherhood, it’s hard to find that balance of keeping a huge social life and having family time. I work on determining what is important to me and my family and make those a priority. We focus on planning ahead for family trips, we schedule dinners with our friends and their kids because they are important to us, make sure we get to workout and we make time for date nights. Understanding what your priorities are is a huge step in this process.
- Enjoy MOMENTS with my kids: Not trips, just moments. If they want to stay up an extra 10 minutes to read a book together, I do it. We have family trips and vacations, but trying to take time out of the nonstop day to day routine is where the challenge becomes. I made a promise to myself to at least enjoy a moment a day with each kid. It may not sound like a lot to others but for my life it’s done wonders.
- COMMUNICATE with my family: Working in silo doesn’t cut it in motherhood, so I learned, as my Type A personality pushes me to do things the way I want :). I am making more of an effort to talk about my wants and needs, understand what my husband and kids want and need and find ways we can all work together to become better. We set goals for each other, we talk about things that annoy us and quickly get over it! We are trying to stop the frustrating discussions and talk through finding solutions. It really has done WONDERS for our family dynamic.
- CAREER is just as important: I love working and I love what I do. I am so lucky to have a supportive husband who has the same belief in work ethics. I make my career a priority and work hard to become better at what I do. It becomes very challenging at times but it’s so worth it to me. Finding that balance of career and family takes time and I am finally finding ways to handle both.
- End my day with 1 POSITIVE thought – No matter how bad my day is, there is ALWAYS something I can be grateful for; the fact that I am sleeping in home, able to work out, or get the chance to hug and kiss my kids goodnight. It is as simple as that.