My kids love having their snacks. But for a Momma, I sometimes run out of ideas on what types of snacks to give my kids. I try to stay away as much as I can from those sugary snacks, so I am also looking for something that is healthy and something that I can create quick and fast without making a run to the grocery store. So here is a combination of a list of some healthy snacks that I have gotten from other mommas and recipe books of mine that I have incorporated with what my kids like to eat.
1. Little Dippers: cut an apple into wedges. Stick a toothpick in each piece, dip in natural peanut butter and roll in crushed peanuts or sliced almonds. (if your child is allergic to peanut butter you may substitute soy nut butter).
2. Chicky Mix: pour one can of 160z drained and rinsed chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil, garlic powder and salt. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until crispy.
3. Meat rollers: Slice apples into thin wedges. Top with a small thin slice of any type of cheese, and wrap with your choice of deli meat such as turkey, ham, chicken, and salami.
4. Going Fishing: You will need carrot sicks, a bowl of any ready made dip, I use greek yogurt and spinach dip, and a handful of goldfish crackers. Let the kids dip the carrot (which is your fishing pole) into the dip (your bait) and then catch the fish(gold fish crackers).
5. Magic Wands: Spread natural peanut butter on top of pretzel rods. Roll in chopped nuts or dried fruits.
6. Warm Crackers: Top whole-grain crackers with cranberry sauce or your favorite jam, thin apple slices, grated fat-free cheddar cheese. Broil until cheese melts.
7. Slow Poke Snails: Top refrigerated bread stick dough with mozzarella or provolone cheese and salami or pepperoni. If you are vegetarian you can top it with any veggies you like, then roll into pinwheels and bake as directed.
8. Berries & Cream: Dip whole strawberries in yogurt. Freeze until firm. Slice in half.
9. Mini Tostadas: You can get round tortilla chips, top with your family favorite salsa, and cheese. Put into the oven on 375 for about 8-10 minutes or till cheese melted.
10. Sail Away: Small cucumbers cut lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Mix in a bowl, some plain yogurt, a pinch of salt and sugar and a dash of cumin. Spread into hollowed cucumbers and top with toothpick and triangular shaped cucumbers to make it look like a sail boat.