As a young child, I always enjoyed watching my mom cook all different kinds of meals in the kitchen. I was always asking questions such as, mom what ingredient is that? Or what country is that kind of food made from, so on so forth. I enjoyed my mom’s home cooked meals. So from my mom, knowing how interested I was in cooking and her great recipes she started a cookbook of her own recipes for me in 1997.
She writes her recipes in a notebook in pencil so if there are any changes to the recipe she can fix it. She wrote all of my favorite recipes that I love of hers such as her chicken curry, biscuits, traditional Guajarati (Indian) food, and deserts. I did not know she started this book until I moved out for college and she gave it to me as a gift! Boy let me tell you how handy this recipe book was when I was away from my moms home cooked meals! Till this day, she still adds her new recipes in there. Every time she comes and visits me, she will add a few more. I love that my mom started this little tradition because I sure am going to do the same for my kids.
I know that there are some more savvy and easier ways to start a traditional family recipe book. Back in the late 90’s there was no apps for storing recipes, or even some sort of easy software to use to put all your recipes. But now days there are so many out there. Here are a few apps and sites I have found that you can try. I am planning to use one of these to start my family tradition cookbook.
- My cookbook (great site to create digital cookbook)
- Handy cookbook (an app. that can convert recipes to pdf file and also lets you download your collection you have already on your computer or phone to their site)
- All my recipes (great app. to store your recipes and share with your family)
- Recipe builder pro (you can create, store and share recipes with nutritional info with this app)
- How to make a family cookbook (great tips, step by step on how to start your recipe book)
- Family cookbook project (there is a fee for this one, but has a great concept)
- How to create a family cookbook (some great tips on starting your own cookbook)
- Create my cookbook (a fee for this site, but great layout and templates to add your recipes to)
What apps or sites have you used for cookbooks?
What family traditions do you have with your family?