- ¼ cup flax seed
- 1 tbsp. chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. chopped zucchini
- 1 tbsp. corn
- 1 large eggplant, halved
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh feta cheese or freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Prepare flax seed in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until toasted. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into half. Scoop out flesh, leaving about ¼-inch-thick shell. Reserve shells by then chop eggplant flesh and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat with garlic. Add chopped eggplant, red and green bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, chopped zucchini and corn; cook and stir about 6-8 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Stir in toasted flax, half the vegetable broth, fresh basil, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Let it bubble over high heat then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. Add some of the remaining broth as needed while cooking, but reserve ¼ cup. Remove from heat; let stand, covered.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fill eggplant shells with mixture.
- Place eggplant halves in slightly greased baking pan and add remaining ¼ cup broth.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Add feta cheese or shredded parmesan cheese to top immediately when done baking to slightly melt and serve with warm marinara sauce on the side.
I also like that it has flax, something I only think of using for morning meals of smoothies or cereals, and I love reaping flax’s benefits which studies say may help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. Originally the recipe I had found called for millet or cornmeal and a lot of cheese, so I made it healthier with flax and a little fresh feta. The flax even gave it an awesome little ‘crunch’.
Loved how easy it was, healthy it was and most importantly, how delicious it was!
Let me know how you like it if you try it out!