How many of you know what a pressure cooker is? I know not many of you use it as often as it should be used because its a life saver! A friend of mine didn’t used to use one until they read some Nuwave pressure cooker reviews, and ever since they bought one they’ve fallen in love with it. I use the pressure cooker so much because its very quick and easy to make meals in!! Here is my all time favorite recipe I make in the pressure cooker for my family.
Mixed Vegetable Rice Pilaf (Khichdi)
- ¼ cup of jasmine rice
- ¾ cup of yellow dhal (yellow split peas found at Indian/middle eastern grocery stores)
- ¾ cup of green split moong dhal (found at Indian/middle eastern grocery stores)
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- pinch of salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp of turmeric (found at Indian/middle eastern stores) (optional)
- chopped vegetables (any kind, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, spinach, bell peppers, carrots, eggplant, peas,& kale leaves)
- 1 tsp of butter/margarine
- ½ cup of water (or till vegetables and rice are dunked)
- Rinse rice, and both dhal's in a bowl till the water is not so white and foggy and drain all the water out. Pour into the pressure cooker and add all vegetables, ginger, garlic, salt, butter/margarine and turmeric (optional). Add water into the cooker till all vegetables and rice are dunked about ½ cup. DO NOT ADD TOO MUCH WATER BECAUSE PRESSURE BUILDS UP WHICH CAN LEAK AND CAUSE A BURST WHEN OPENED. Let the pressure cooker blow up to 3-4 whistles, release air/steam from the cooker and open slowly to see if rice and veggies are cooked. Serve with a tablespoon of plain yogurt and enjoy this delicious meal.
* Some other meals you can make in a pressure cooker are: lentils, dhal, potatoes, vegetables, ribs, meats, and soups.