“Gross!!!” That’s most kids reactions when you mention the word peas, especially in a sandwich. Growing up my mom made blended peas sandwiches which I still eat to this day. It’s perfect for kids because it’s healthy but has spices in it to make peas way more flavorful…and the spices are great for anyone’s digestive system.
Best part is, it’s soft and easy to chew so for parents with little ones, a great recipe to try early on and for all parents with older kids, it’s super yummy! One tip for those busy parents, you can make the peas filling in bulk in advance and just freeze portions of it to use when it’s just one of those days you know you can’t put a time consuming dinner on the table. It’s it a family favorite in our house!
- ½ cup of baby frozen peas
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried cilantro
- ¼ tsp tumeric
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbs shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices whole grain wheat bread
- Using a hand blander, blend together all ingredients until it is a thick spread. Do not puree.
- Spread the mixture onto the bread and layer with cheese
- Spray Pam on both the outside of both pieces of bread
- Cook in frying pan or in a sandwich maker until bread is toasted and cheese is melted
- Serve with ketchup and sweet potato fries or some steamed veggies