My family loves fish so I am always trying to find new ways to keep it interesting. The other day I went grocery shopping and I saw the pre-made fresh salmon burgers in the meat department. They looked tasty but I thought…”why not try this myself?”
I had never made any type of fish burger at home. I have done turkey burgers, chicken burgers and veggie burgers but this was a first! They turned out to be an absolute hit and not just for the adults…even the kids loved it. Yup, gave myself a mommy pat on the back for that one because usually it’s one or the other when you try a new recipe.
I also did some research on trying to find the right sauce as I didn’t want anything majorly mayo based so I ended up making one out of greek yogurt…so yum!
Another plus to these salmon burgers, you can make extra patties and freeze them. You can even grill or cook them in a pan frozen and they will cook in like 10 minutes. We now put them in salads, just have plain patties or make them into burgers with bread.
One little tip…try to keep them a bit cold before you cook them, they will stay together better.
For Salmon Burgers
- 1 lb of Fresh Salmon Filet (Skin removed)
- 1/2 Cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh organic chopped cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil mayo
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Fresh Lemon
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsbp fresh chopped Serrano peppers (add these in later if you are making some for kids)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
For Dill Sriracha Sauce
- ⅓ cup and 3 tablespoons of fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 3 fresh serrano peppers finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tspn ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce or more to taste
To make Salmon Burgers
- Chop the skinned salmon into small pieces, about 1/4 or smaller
- Add in all ingredients and mix together. If the mixture feels a bit soft, add in some more breadcrumbs
- Cool mixture for 10 minutes in refrigerator
- Make into patties, I did sliders for the little ones
- Cook on grill or on a lightly greased pan over medium heat. It should take about 5 minutes on each side at the most
To make Dill Sriracha Sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and you are done!
Hope it is a hit in your house too!