Here we go again, another recall and this time it’s Sargento cheese…one of the largest cheese makers in the US. Sargento just announced that they are recalling certain packages of their Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby and Chef Blends Shredded Nacho and Taco Cheese due to a potential listeria contamination. On its website, Sargento said that it ordered the cheese recall after being notified by a supplier in Indiana that its Longhorn Colby cheese may have been contaminated and that they were recalling five additional cheese products packaged at the same facility (located in Wisconsin) out of an abundance of caution.
Listeria contamination can cause a serious infection and is particularly dangerous for pregnant women and older people. If someone has been contaminated, then the signs to look out for include fever, muscle aches and sometimes diarrhea/other gastrointestinal problems. According to the Center for Disease Control, approximately 1,600 cases are reported in the United States every year, with 260 resulting in death. So far, on its website Sargento, said there have been no confirmed reports of illnesses.
So far, the Sargento cheese recall includes:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17”
Out of an abundance of caution, Sargento also recalled the following products because they were packaged on the same line as the affected cheese:
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “F28JUN17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
Go to the Sargento website for pictures and more information, here. And please check out your cheese and make sure it’s not one of those affected and if it is, discard it right away.