There are many battles that come along with potty training! I have gone through it with all three of my kids and each one threw me their own obstacle. There is so much frustration on your part and the part of your kids but the success can be so rewarding! Once your child is potty trained it creates such a relief and bonus there are no more diaper expenses!
When my older two kids were potty training it was a different experience than with my youngest. There are so many new products that can help with the process. Here are a few of my favorites that have really helped us with being successful:
1. Potty seat: These are great to have because they go right on top of the toilet seat. It allows them the opportunity to use the “real potty” with the given safety measure of them not falling in. I love this one: Arm and Hammer Secure Comfort Potty Seat and don’t forget the potty hook for the convenience of hanging your potty seat: Mom Invented Potty Hook
2. Toilet seat covers: These are great when you are out and about. The ones that the public restrooms have are not durable and very flimsy and sometimes they slide off. These are great because they conveniently fit right in your diaper bag or purse. They do not slide off the toilet seat because they have a grip on the bottom, which is particularly helpful when your child has the wiggles. One of my favorites: Toilet Seat Covers
3. Traveling folding potty seat: I use this folding seat particularly for when I am traveling on a plane! The toilets are so dirty and you are confined to a small space so it can be hard for you to stand there and hold your child over the toilet. We travel a lot so for me this is a must have! It was particularly helpful when we were traveling abroad to India. A long flight equals a lot of potty time. This one also folds up nicely, again making it convenient enough to fit in your diaper bag. Great purchase:PRIMO Folding Potty with Handles
4. Flushable cleansing wipes: These are good to have because they are moist and make the wiping process more comfortable for your little one. Plus you don’t have to worry about all that wasted toilet paper (we all have had the experience of our kids rolling out way too much). The ones I use: Pampers Kandoo Flushable Wipes, Sensitive,
5. Clorax urine remover: When your child has an accident it gets all over the carpet, on their mattress, or where ever else they may be. This product is amazing because it removes the stains and odor! This spray can be used on other surfaces as well. Awesome product: Urine Remover
6. Night time pull ups: These are thicker and more absorbent than the day time ones so you don’t have to worry about those leaks. There are a few brands out there but I really like this one: Pull-Ups Training Pants Night Time
7. Books to Read: While potty training(and even now) all my kids wanted a book to read while they were on the potty. It allowed them to relax a little bit and gives them something to distract their hands. Some of my kids favorite books:Potty (Leslie Patricelli board books), Look and Find® Disney® Frozen and Where Is Baby’s Belly Button? A Lift-the-Flap Book
Potty training can be a challenge, but I promise once they “get it” all that hard work, frustration, and clean ups will have been well worth it. Hopefully these tips and items help you as much as they helped me!!