24 quick, simple & natural beauty tips
Who’s ready for warmer weather? Ok…OK!! We hear you loud and clear! We know most of you are so completely over being frozen during what’s been noted as one of the worst winters on record. So with spring comes not only welcomed warmth but a time of necessary renewal, growth, transformation and a time to breathe life into everything…including our face, hair, lips, hands, feet and everything in between. Winter has a way of dulling you out but no worries here. We’ve got you covered with our all natural tried and tested (yes, the four of us have actually tried every single one of these out) beauty tips. Many of these tips are ones that have been passed down from our mothers, grandmothers and aunts and include an Ayurvedic reason for why they work all the way down to the cellular level. We include ingredients you can pretty much eat and probably already have stocked in your kitchen, so you know you’re getting fresh faced for the upcoming season in an effective, safe and natural way.
– Chai Mommas
- Mash up one banana and mix with one egg until it forms a thick paste. Apply all over hair and leave for 20 minutes. Then, wash hair as normal for super shiny locks.
- After squeezing lemon into your tea, don’t toss it. Instead, rub all over a freshly washed face and neck for a few minutes and then rinse. The acids in the lemon work like a mini peel and instantly brighten, leaving your skin feeling incredibly refreshed. However, if you are looking for more powerful results, then you might want to alternate this natural method with a skin peel treatment at your nearest medical spa.
- To remove facial hair naturally, mix turmeric with besan (chickpea flour) and water to form a paste and apply it all over face. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinse with warm water. Do this a few times a week and your hair will be less thick after a few months.
- Make a scrub from equal parts organic olive oil, honey and brown sugar. Apply to lips in a circular motion for softer lips in literally seconds.
- To naturally brighten teeth, mash strawberries and mix with baking soda to create a ‘toothpaste’. Brush teeth with this paste and rinse thoroughly. If this method didn’t work for you as well as you’d hoped, you always have the choice to visit a Dentist in Manchester (or one closer to where you live), so you can get your teeth whitened professionally. At least this way, you’ll be able to have the smile you have always wanted, in possibly less time than it would have taken if you were to continue this method.
- Kill zits with NOW Foods Tea Tree Oil 4 oztea tree oil. Apply with cotton ball to problematic areas.
- To remove blackheads, mix cinnamon and honey together. Rub this paste on blackhead prone areas and let sit for 15 minutes before washing off with warm water and wash cloth.
- Drink fenugreek (methi) water or swallow 1 teaspoon of fenugreek with water everyday. This helps with many things such as clearer skin, fights constipation, burns fat and if nursing, helps women produce more milk.
- Massaging olive oil into hair and scalp (once a week or even just a few times a month), leaving it overnight and washing out the next day…locks in shine, helps fight dandruff, softens hair and also helps with unwanted frizz.
- Elemis Body BrushDry brushing is in one word: amazing. It’s a simple way to detoxify your body, stimulate organs, the lymphatic system and is a great exfoliator.
- Out of your normal eye makeup remover? Grab some olive oil…it works great and no need to rinse off afterwards. Olive oil is great, natural moisturizer too.
- For even an extra boost of shine, rinse hair with organic vodka or apple cider vinegar.
- For a skin brightening mask, take 1-2 tablespoons of chickpea flour, a few pinches of turmeric powder and milk to make a paste. Add in a drop of organic rose water and mix it all in a shallow bowl. Then steam your face so your pores open up and apply the paste, especially to trouble areas. Let dry for about 15-20 minutes and then wash off gently with warm water.
- Use an orange cut in half to exfoliate your elbows and knees. Fantastic aromatherapy too!
- Pimples or face irritations? No problem. Just mix a pinch of turmeric powder and coconut oil and apply it directly to the lesions. So much better for your skin than all the chemicals in so many of the acne ointments out there. (Check out some more of our turmeric remedies here.)
- After shampooing and conditioning hair, a simple cold water rinse adds an extra boost of shine.
- Ghee is an amazing eye cream. It not only helps with wrinkles and dark under-eye circles, but actually works on the extraocular muscles so it also helps with eye function. Take some simple organic grass-fed gheeorganic grass-fed ghee and gently rub in circles (always with your ring finger) onto eyelids and under the eye. It’s so rich, you only need a small amount. We also love the ready made Pratima Ayurvedic version of this.
- Another Ayurvedic eye tip is using simply castor oilcastor oil. It reduces puffiness, plus if you have extra dark circles and haven’t slept in awhile, just dab a little under eyes (and at the lashes for healthy lashes).
- Sleep on your back and on a silk pillowcase to avoid wrinkles…yes, it’s true. A silk pillowcase also has a cleaner surface compared to cotton pillowcases and it’s can prevent hair and face irritation.
- Dry skin? Mix aloe vera gel with olive oil and add some shea butter to it. Mix it well until it forms a thick paste and apply it onto clean face and neck. Keep the pack on for at least 20 minutes and wash your face with cold water to lock the moisture in your skin. Aloe vera is said to have calming and soothing properties, so using something like this aloe ice soothing gel can help with improving the appearance of damaged skin, such as sun burn. Some people may decide to add lemon juice to aloe vera, which can help, but just be careful, as adding too much lemon juice can be too acidic and may have the opposite effect to soothing the skin.
- Depuff your eyes with cool slices of cucumbers or raw potatoes. Slice either one, lay down and apply to eyes for ten minutes. Instant refresher.
- Did you know that Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 15-Ounce Tubs (Pack of 2)coconut oil is a natural sunscreen/moisturizer? It naturally has a SPF of 10 plus makes a nourishing moisturizer for the whole family, even kids. Not to mention, it smells yummy too.
- Strengthen hair with a mask made of mayo. Take a 1/2 cup of mayo and comb through hair. Leave in for 10-15 minutes, rinse with cool water and then shampoo as normal. No need for more conditioner.
- And finally the easiest tip. Drink plenty of H2O – a good 8 glasses of water a day as a general rule for clearer skin, a flatter tummy and an overall feeling of awesome-ness. Starting the day off with lemon water is a perfect way to cleanse and detoxify too.