6 holiday traditions you can start this year
The Holidays are near and I have to say it is one of my favorite times of the year. I love that we are finally experiencing some colder weather because that means snuggling on the couch, with a fire going, and watching Holiday Movies. It always puts me in a wonderful mood.
One of my other favorite things about this time of year is the tradition that comes along with it. Whether it be one that has been passed on from generation to generation, or one that we have started in the more recent years, I love sharing them with my kids and family. It is something for everyone of all ages to look forward to. Below are just some ideas in case you are looking for something new to do with your family this year:
- Make your own holiday cards: Each person can make their own individual cards or you can have your family all make a contribution to each card you plan on sending out. You can use all kinds of materials such as wrapping paper, arts and crafts material, gift tags, tissue paper, etc. You can send these cards out to family and friends, to a charity, or to soldiers who are overseas and can’t be home with their families for the holidays. The best part is you can all decide together!!
- Host a baking party: This can be a neighborhood event or just with family and friends. You can buy the premade sugar cookie dough and have options for frosting and sprinkles, and you can even provide holiday themed cookie cutters. This one is so much fun for the kids. You don’t even have to limit it to cookies, you can make any kinds of holiday goodies that you want!!
- Countdown to Christmas Calendar: This one is fun because each day provides a new surprise or treat. You can buy one or even make your own. I got mine at Pottery Barn Kids and even had it personalized with our family name. This one really allows you to get creative. We like to put notes in each day with a new holiday activity (i.e. going to see the local Christmas lights, or picking out a toy to donate, the possibilities are endless!!)
- Have a Holiday Block Party with your neighbors and friends: You can make it a potluck so you have a variety of food and you can even make it for a good cause. Everyone can bring a toy to donate or canned goods. This time of year is all about giving so what better way to celebrate it!!
- Have a white elephant gift exchange at your party: We do this every year with our friends and have so much fun with it. The kids gets useful stuff and the adults like to have a little fun and throw in some gag gifts.
- Give an ornament to your child each year: This one is fun because they can use these ornaments for years to come, even when they have their own families. It is so much fun decorating the tree each year because you get to look back at all the old ornaments you received and it brings up great memories!!
Celebrating these traditions makes and everlasting memory. If you keep traditions going every year, like my family did then the next generation will carry it on. It can be something so memorable and meaningful that it can be passed on. I would love to hear about your traditions you have with your family and friends?