No products in the cart.
12 classic books to read for 8-11 year olds
My oldest daughter just turned 9 and she is getting into books that I remember reading when I was that age. Since it is summer and school is out, I thought now would be the perfect time to introduce her to some of my favorite books as a child. She has the extra time and it keeps her reading skills fresh.
1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: I loved this book! It’s about a man who crashes in the desert and comes across a Little Prince who teaches him the importance of life while traveling from one planet to another.
2. Matilda by Roald Dahl: Matilda is known to be a naughty child and her family thinks she is a nuisance, but when she starts school she comes across a bully who is her Head Master. She meets her kind and loving teacher, Miss Honey, who teaches her to be strong and stand up for herself. This book is an all time favorite. It is a great read kids who have had to deal with a bully or who have gone through some tough times!
3. The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks: I really enjoyed this book growing up. I actually read it a few different times. It’s about a little boy who gets a present from his best friend, a little indian plastic figuring. Later the little boy learns about the magic behind that figurine.
5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Ronald Dhal: This is another all time favorite by Roald Dhal. Nyah has read this book and she thinks it’s so fun because it’s based in a chocolate factory! The owner Willy Wonka takes the kids for a tour and it turns into a great adventure! The movie is great too!
6. Mr. Poppers Penguins by Richard Atwater: Another entertaining, laugh out loud book to read! Mr. Popper has penguins as his pets and does funny and weird things with them that make children laugh all day!
7. The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis: This book is based on 4 siblings that discover the land of Narnia where magical things happen and where evil also lives. A book of fantasy and adventure.
9. Charolette’s Web By E.B White: Another favorite for me as a child! I have read this to all three of my kids and they loved it. It teaches you about love, respect, and the true meaning of friendship.
10. The Series of Ramona Quimby by Beverley Cleary: Ramona is a unique child who makes you laugh and reminds you the many memories you had from your childhood. This series has the whole collection which walks through Ramona’s life. You get to grow up with her and experience all of the ups and downs.
11. Tales of 4th Grade Nothing by Judy Blume: Oh how I loved this book! I read it when I was in the fourth grade. It’s about a boy named Peter who has brother named Fudge that everyone adores. Peter gets a little jealous at times and loves to get into mischief.
12. Freckle Juice by Judy Blume: I saved the best for last! (or at least in my opinion) More than anything in this world Andrew wants freckles and he will do anything to get them! See what happens in this funny tale!
Writing this post was very nostalgic for me! I loved reading as a child and I love introducing new books to my kids! I hope your kids will enjoy these books just as much!