Now on to recipe #3 of the Chaimommas Instapottin with Poonam Giveaway. We only have one recipe left after this so don’t forget to enter before Friday.
What’s Poonam’s special recipe today? Something that the whole family can enjoy: A Tex-Mex Casserole Recipe. Being So-Cal South Asian moms, we all say Mexican inspired cuisine is always a big hit around the dinner table so we are lovin’ today’s recipe.
All four of us at Chaimommas own an Instant Pot ourselves, so we know how handy it is for busy moms. That’s why we decided to share the ease of an Imstant Pot with one lucky winner! For your chance to win your own 6 Quart Instant Pot (and be able to make all of Poonam’s recipes) be sure to check out the details to enter below!
Try out the Tex-Mex Casserole Recipe and let us know how it turns out!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 bell pepper-any color diced-we used different colors
- 1 can kernel corn rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 package mushrooms- diced
- 8 oz package cheddar jack/taco cheese
- 8-10 ounce Red enchilada sauce
- 8-10 ounce Green enchilada sauce
- 4-6 Tortillas-soft taco size or large enough to cover the bottom of your pan
- 1 package Taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Dried oregano
- Jalapenos, cilantro, salsa and sour cream for garnish (optional)
- PRO TIP: Place InstantPot under your vent hood while cooking
- Turn on InstantPot to SAUTE mode
- Add oil to pot
- Add mushrooms, onions and peppers-stir together
- Use the glass lid to close the pot and saute for 3-5 minutes until tender
- While the veggies are cooking, in a separate large bowl, mix together the black beans, corn, taco seasoning and oregano
- Mix well to incorporate all ingredients
- Add the sauteed vegetables to the bean mixture and mix well
- Press CANCEL/OFF button on InstantPot to turn off
- Grease your pan with either butter, oil or cooking spray
- Lay one tortilla flat in the pan to cover the bottom
- Add a ladle of Red Enchilada sauce to fully cover the tortilla (or green or a mix of both sauces- your preference)
- Add a layer of your vegetable/bean mixture
- Add a layer of cheese
- Add another tortilla and repeat this process until you have the desired number of layers
- The final layer should be tortilla-sauce-cheese
- Gently cover the pan with foil
- You can rinse out your InstantPot if you want at this point or leave it as is
- Add water to the Instant Pot (1 cup)
- Place trivet in the water in the Instant Pot
- Place the casserole pan on the sling
- Using the sling, place the pan on top of the trivet in the InstantPot
- Close the InstantPot lid
- Turn vent on the lid to CLOSE VENT to prevent steam from escaping
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 10 minutes
- After timer goes off, Press CANCEL/OFF button on InstantPot to turn off
- Now manually release the steam by opening the vent. The silver prong will drop back into the lid. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Open the lid and carefully using the sling, pull out the casserole- IT WILL BE VERY HOT
- Remove the foil cover
- At this point, you can serve the casserole from the pan or allow it to cool, remove from the pan, and slice
- Garnish with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, etc
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, rice and beans for a full fiesta meal!
- Our InstantPot refried beans recipe: https://youtu.be/M41Wxtb21vg
- You can add ground meat as a layer in this casserole.
- You can use any combination of vegetables you like
- You can add spanish/mexican rice as a layer.
- VEGETARIAN VARIATION: This dish is vegetarian.
- VEGAN VARIATION: Omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese.
- Instant Pot – http://amzn.to/2sWfmZO
- Tempered glass Lid – http://amzn.to/2uCYPOC
- Cheesecake pan- http://amzn.to/2tXTm07
- I recommend using different sealing rings when cooking sweet vs savory food: http://amzn.to/2tFsBlV
- My spoon rest: http://amzn.to/2vx7AFY