No products in the cart.
hearty veggie baked pasta
Now that fall’s here, I start to think about warm dishes like hearty pastas and big bowls of soup with yummy fresh baked bread for dipping. Last night, we had this baked pasta dish…it’s kind of like a casserole, that’s rich, filling and leaves you wanting to come back for more. Can anyone say food coma?! Try it out and let me know what you think.
Veggie Baked Pasta
Recipe Type: Dinner
Serves: 5 with leftovers!
A hearty baked pasta packed with delicious vegetables and just a bit of cheese for a delicious, filling meal. Serve with a salad and bread on the side. Enjoy!
- 1 box penne pasta
- 1 1/2 jar of pasta sauce (i use classico spicy red pepper)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pack of mushrooms – cleaned and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper – chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoon capers
- 1 1/2 cup spinach – chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic – chopped finely
- 2 serrano chili peppers – chopped finely (optional)
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper grinder
- Boil pasta al dente according to instructions on package – drain/rinse under cold water and set aside
- Heat saute pan over medium high and add olive oil
- Once olive oil is warm, add chopped serrano peppers (if using) and garlic
- Let serrano peppers and garlic saute but be careful not to burn garlic especially – watch closely
- Add mushrooms and saute until almost cooked (appx 5-7 minutes)
- Add in bell peppers, olives and capers with a bit of caper juice
- Add salt and mix all vegetables together – let saute for another 10 minutes
- Once done, set vegetable mixture aside
- Turn oven on to 375 degrees
- In large mixing bowl, mix together cooled pasta, pasta sauce, ricotta cheese, spinach, basil, vegetable mixture, red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Transfer to a large glass baking casserole dish
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese over top
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven
- Cook for 30 – 40 minutes or until warmed well
- Remove foil and broil on high (watching carefully) for about 5 minutes or so or until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown on top
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let casserole sit for about 10 minutes or so before serving.
Leave a Reply