No products in the cart.
on-the-go healthy snacks for kids
Kids like snacks. I make it my job to provide my son with a variety of snack options. At the house, my go-to snacks (in no particular order) are: 1) fruits 2) vegetables 3) organic cheese 4) crackers with almond butter; and, 5) homemade muffins.
I like to mix it up and introduce my son to different fruits and vegetables. It’s surprising to learn what he likes. I also like to get creative when I can. The simple act of turning a piece of cheese into shapes or numbers, makes eating it so much more fun. At our house, we also have fun creating almond butter cracker faces using raisins for eyes and strawberry mouths. We’ve been experimenting with muffins, too. And, I think you’ll like this muffin recipe below.
- 1 cup of organic oats
- 1 cup of organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 organic cage-free egg, beaten
- 1 cup of organic almond milk
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of organic brown sugar
- 8 organic strawberries, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Fill a mini muffin tin with 24 muffin cups
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix
- Combine the eggs, milk, coconut oil and brown sugar and mix well
- Now, combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix again
- Fold in the strawberries and chia seeds
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins (about 80% full)
- Bake for 13-18 minutes until the tops are browned and a toothpick comes out clean
- Chill for 15 minutes
My latest trick is to take a mini cooler with me on the weekends. That way, when we are out and about, we can still enjoy the same snacks that we like before-we-go when we are on-the-go.