No products in the cart.
recipe: make ahead veggie burgers
So in our home we have a mixture of eaters and what I mean by that, is we have some who eat meat, we have some who are vegetarian and we have some who just only eat certain things! So finally I have found a meal that we ALL eat and love, plus it is packed with so much protein and vegetables that the kids don’t even taste it!
So I make these burgers in batches and then just freeze them and when there’s a night where we can’t decide what to eat, I pull these burgers out of the freezer, make them and voila…we have an amazing easy meal! You can serve sides of vegetables like sweet potatoes or even organic chips on the side with some fruit!
- 3-4 green onions trimmed
- 1/2 cup of walnuts toasted
- 1/4 cup of old fashioned oats
- 2 cups cooked lentils (these are ready made at trader joes)
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/2 cup of mashed roasted sweet potato (about 1 medium size)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper (or to your taste)
- your choice of toppings and sauces
- 1 pack of sesame seed hamburger buns
- 1 pack of sliced cheese (we use muenster)
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Grill the scallions until both sided have charred spots turning occasionally. Let cool and and coarsely chop.
- In a food processor add: walnuts and oats until coarse by pulsing it. Then add, 1 cup of lentils, and make sure not to make the mixture mushy. Then transfer to a bowl, and add the remaining 1 cup of lentils, farro, mashed sweet potato and chopped green onions, salt and pepper and mix well. Form into medium patties.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Spread butter on the opening of both buns and grill for about 1-2 minutes or until browned transfer buns to a plate. Then wipe off access butter off the frying pan and add oil and heat over medium high. Add the patties, cook until browned for about 2-3 minutes per side. Then top the patties with cheese and cover till cheese melts.
- Build your burger, spread mayo, ketchup and mustard. Add, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles or even avocados.
Love, love these burgers…sometimes I forget that they are vegetarian cause they taste like a good old fashioned burger…hope you enjoy them too!
Leave a Reply